This page includes instructions about the portal site, channel marketing, the orientation process, etc.
(this section is only seen if you login as the ADMIN)
Reseller & Program Reports (Google Docs)
- Competitive Matrix. Formatted. Working Document.
- Reseller Follow-Up
- Orientation Portal Demo Script
- Channel Orientation. You will need to understand about channels so you don’t “mess up” this channel program portal. If you are new to channels, you will want to go through the Channel Orientation For a New Channel Person document. You may also wish to go through the complete channel orientation course within the Chanimal Learning Center (FREE). This is a good course for even seasoned channel managers to help level set and ensure you are up to speed on industry best practices.
How to Add a Page in WordPress
Adding a page to the portal is different than just adding a regular WordPress page since you also have to set permissions, use the correct page template to match the look of rest of the pages, and make sure your new page shows up on the “inside menu,” etc. These unique steps are shown in blue text.
- Go to Pages
- Add New
- Give it a name
- Parent: Select which page would be your parent page
- Template: Select Leave it at default for this theme.
- Require Membership: Select which group can see this page. Do not check any items if you want everyone to see the page, or select one or more of the user types (Authorized, Gold, Admin, etc.) to limit who can see the page content. Usually you would select them all (including admin) inside the portal, or select NONE if it is an external page.
- Menu Swapper: If your new page is inside the “portal” section, then replace “Primary Menu” with “Internal Portal Menu” (since the inside of the portal uses its own menu structure). If it is an external page that can be seen by the general public, then leave it alone.
- Add content to your new page. Press UPDATE before you leave the page.
- Show the page on the menus. The SIDE menus are created automatically. The top menus items are created manually (since the external page and the internal portal have different menus). To add your new page to the top menu: Go to Appearance / Menus in WordPress.
- Select a menu to edit: Internal Portal Menu (the menu used INSIDE the portal)
- Under Pages (on the left), select your newly created page
- You new page will be listed on the bottom of the Menu Structure. Drag it above to where you would like it to go.
- Select Save Menu. Your new page is setup. Now view that page to ensure it is setup correctly.
How to Setup A New Reseller
Review the application and website. If they are legitimate reseller that meets your criteria, then do the following (your steps may vary slightly, depending on your internal processes):
- Add them to the portal site.
- Go to USERS, ADD NEW
- Create a user name (usually the firstlast combined)
- Create a password use “password123” (makes it easy to tell it to them again if they don’t remember (until they change it)) and confirm weak password (they can change this later).
- Unclick the send user notification
- Keep the role as “Subscriber” (This is CRITICAL–since a Subscriber gets re-directed to the inside of the portal, while an admin gets access directly to your internal portal and can make modifications)
- SAVE (update)
- Create the partner level
- Return to the USERS and it will now show new options that allow you to setup their reseller level (called Membership), enable them to comment within the forum, etc.
- Go to USERS and edit the reseller (the one you just created)
- Turn off the Toolbar (a check box). If you do not click this, a black menu item appears above the portal content (default by WordPress). It often causes confusion if left on.
- Change Membership to Authorized Reseller or Affiliate (de-select the option to automatically send an email—you will send the approval email manually (with their login info, etc. manually afterwards)
- Change Forums to “Participant”
- SAVE (update)
- If they are an affiliate, then add them to your affiliate program (if you have one). Note their name and password.
- Modify your (manual) Reseller Approval Email Template (include their login name and password). Send them the Reseller Approval E-mail.
- Follow up after the email with a phone call to get them to the Orientation Meeting.
Add a Reseller to your Reseller Locator
You will typically want to add your resellers to your reseller locator AFTER they list the product on their website. 1) First, your prospects will be able to find your resellers when they are looking for local support and to answer pre-sales questions (critical if your office is closed or you are in a different region or time zone–better the prospect gets someone who can answer questions and potential close the deal than nobody (and your risk them finding another product instead)). 2) Second, it shows that you support your resellers (think of them as regional offices that also need leads). 3) And third, it is an incentive (BAIT) for resellers to get your product on their website (no product info–no leads (through locator or manually).
The Store Locator shows up in TWO places: 1) Inside the portal (Reseller Locator) so the resellers can read the policies to get listed (and then it shows what it looks like below). 2) There is also another page that is outside the password protected portal (Find A Reseller–the “first” page that shows up inside this portal)–this can be linked from your pricing page (usually called “Find a Reseller”).
- To add a reseller, select “Store Locator” on the left side menu. Add the reseller name within the section. Note: you do NOT want to automatically link this to your User database since the reseller MUST put the product on their website BEFORE they show up in the Locator.
- Send the reseller an email that they are now in the locator.
Orientation Meeting Agenda
- In the orientation meeting you take the reseller through the portal (explain the policies, the 90 day jump-start bonus, how to order), then give a product demo and answer any questions. You will typically use the Sample Reseller Follow-Up Worksheet to keep track of this.
Create a Newsletter Post
You can create your newsletters within this portal site so it will automatically show up on the home page and be archived under Support. You will use the Blog Post feature of WordPress. Use the following steps:
- Add a Post. Click on POST, Add NEW and then create your newsletter subject and copy.
- Select Layout. While in the post, go down below your text area and select Construct General Page Options. Then select the far LEFT Layout (so there there are no columns).
- Disable Intro. Go further down the page and look for Intro Options. Select the bottom option to Disable Intro (or your post will have two titles).
- Do NOT Swap Menus. Unlike adding a new page, you will NOT swap out the top menu when you add a POST. The menu swapper plug-in apparently will use the menu of the most recent “post” AS the menu for the home page–not good since your public home page will then have the internal menus.
- Levels. Do not select any of the levels under Require Membership–so everyone sees the newsletter.
Update your page and proof. Your latest newsletter is now posted within the site.